Closets are one of those spaces that never seem to stay organized. Regardless of size, clothes seem to multiply, making closets seem cluttered, cramped and messy. If you’re one to constantly wonder how your closet turned to chaos, here are a few simple tips to keep your closet clean throughout the new year.
Even if you have already made the choice to get a custom closet, you can still reap the benefits of these musts below.
1. Thin hangers. It’s crazy how much space hangers can take up in a closet. Switching to thin, velvet hangers is a simple trick that opens up the space and allows you to store more clothing. Getting rid of the multitude of mismatched hangers sitting in your closet will make the space look sleeker and cleaner.
2. Color coating. While most of us sort our closet into different sections, (pants, tops, etc.), taking it one step further and color coating your closet makes a huge difference. Color coating gives every piece a specific spot, and makes it easy to find that exact piece you’re looking for.
3. Drawer Organizers. Drawers are a great way to maximize your closet space, but after a few loads of laundry, I find that my drawers appear bottomless, and it becomes increasingly difficult to find the pieces I want. Separating your drawers with plastic organizers is a simple way to keep your drawers clean. It also makes it easy to switch drawers around, just switch out the organizers instead of taking out each piece of clothing.
4. Make a Chart. When organizing your closet, make a simple chart on a piece of computer paper to outline where everything is. Customize it to your liking, and even annotate where pieces you want to wear more are located.
5. Don’t forget the odds and ends. Store small accessories like belts and scarves in plain sight so that they stay organized and you don’t forget to wear them. Using matching bins on closet shelves are a fun way to avoid clutter.
What do you do to keep your closet organized?
About the Author
Vice President of Operations and Designer with Closet Tec Inc.
Terrie is passionate about making her clients feel proud of their home! Stay with her on the Closet Tec blog to learn more about home decor, client success stories, and so much more!